This stuff was VERY addictive last year. Me and my best friend made 10+ loaves over the course of three months.
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 cup sweetener (such as Truvia, Stevia, or Splenda)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 5 egg whites
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- optional* chocolate chips, walnuts, cranberries, etc
- Heat oven to 350ºF.
- in a large mixing bowl, combine pumpkin, sweetener, water, applesauce and egg whites. Beat until well mixed.
- Measure the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, baking powder, nutmeg and cloves into a separate bowl and stir until combined
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the pumpkin mixture, beating until smooth. (At this point, this stuff is delicious on graham crackers or apples; eggs are pasteurized these days, so don’t worry about that)
- Grease one 9 x 5 inch loaf pan and dust with flour before pouring batter in (or use one muffin pan for individual servings)
- Bake for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. (check at 45 - 50 minutes for muffins)
- Cool for 10-15 minutes, then remove from pans by inverting onto a rack and tapping the bottoms.
- Slice and serve plain, buttered, or with cream cheese.
Also, this makes a decent pancake-like batter.
Makes one loaf, or 12 slices. 80 Calories per slice
Fat .2g / sodium 72mg / Carbos 15.4g (fiber .8g, sugars 1.3g) / Protein 3.6g